Thursday, June 26, 2014

FTSF: Compromise.

The prompt is "The one thing I'll never compromise on is..." and the blogger is stumped. 

I serve my kids foods my parents probably didn't even know existed.  I'm not talking pad thai and quinoa here, but chicken nuggets and top ramen.  My mom MADE HER OWN BREAD and we're not even Mormon.  So letting my kids eat crap just because it simplifies my life definitely feels like a compromise.

I was also raised with no TV, and felt no need to get one as an adult.  When I met my husband, he had 3 TVs in the house where he lived alone.  We quickly whittled that down to one, and banished it to a tiny spare room, but the TV itself has probably the same area as the previous 3 screens combined.  Compromise.

I buy fair trade chocolate chips...and Milky Ways.  I let my kids play video games I haven't screened.  I don't drive drunk, but I do drive after a glass or two of wine.  I read crap literature.  I let my students make a mockery of every seating chart I've ever made.  My happy place is the mountain, but I let my husband's grousing about gas costs focus much of my hiking on the city park.  It's an awesome park, alleged to be the country's largest forested area within city limits, but...it's a compromise.   I went camping every summer for 14 years with the same group of friends, whatever my schedule, my health, or my finances, but this year we're just doing a cookout because of others' schedules, health, and finances.

I live in the exact suburb I grew up mocking.  Suburbs themselves are a compromise of the worst kind--neither city nor country, losing the attractions of each but keeping the downsides of both.

Is there anywhere I won't compromise?  The longer I think about this, the more I begin to wonder.  But I finally come up with my answer.

Me and my Momma, a long time ago.




Love.  I don't compromise on love.  My love for my husband, my kids, my family and friends.  It's solid and real and one area where I am neither wishy-washy nor passive.  I love reading.  I love chocolate.  I love the woods.  I love my home state and the Baltic states.  These are unchangeable. 

Love is where I stand my ground.
 FTSF
#FTSF




6 comments:

  1. "Love is where I stand my ground."

    'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like a lovely person to have as a friend! Don't change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! What a sweet post - here's to never compromising on love. (and I feed my kid crapfoods because they're easier as well)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do what you have to do, right? It's just hard because we all make different choices, so it's easy to judge (or feel judged) when people do things YOU would never do.

      Delete