Monday, July 1, 2013

This is Now a Cooking Blog. Kidding.

Peanut Butter Pig-Outs

This is my cookie for hot weather.  My mom got the recipe in about 1978, from her friend Valerie.  They were nurses together.  This is, however, not a healthy dessert.  It is delicious (hence the 3/4 empty pan) and requires no cooking, other than a little microwaving.

Mix: two cups of peanut butter, a stick of butter, and a pound of powdered sugar.  (That's 1/2 cup of butter and about 3 3/4 cups of powdered sugar.)

Stir in 3 cups of rice krispies.  Unless you're out, and forgot to get them when you made a trip to the store specifically to buy the ingredients to make these.  It turns out honey nut cheerios also work.

Spread the whole thing into a cookie pan.  Then melt a cup of chocolate chips in your microwave, and spread the gooey chocolate over the peanut butter layer.  At this point, I usually say, "I should have used more chocolate."  Feel free to actually use more chocolate if you'd like.

For years (MANY!), I've made this with crunchy peanut butter, because crunchy is good.  Yesterday when I was at the store with Oak (on that "let's get all the ingredients EXCEPT ONE" trip), I was looking at two seemingly identical peanut butters and wondered aloud, "How are these different?  Oh, one is crunchy and one is smooth.  Which one do we want?"  

Before I could answer my own question with "Crunchy, because it's good," Oak gravely replied, "Smooth, because if someone has a loose tooth, the crunchy kind can hurt."

Well.  I hadn't thought of the "if someone has a loose tooth" angle.  Since I was pretending to make these for the kids, I went with his advice.  

It's good either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment